Blitz Pizza with Swiss and Red Onion

I really like pizza   I'll eat pizza on regular-ol' pizza crust, or on an English muffin or those thin sandwich thingies.  But the toppings are always tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, and maybe a little Parmesan cheese if I remember, because theHubby only likes tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese (and Parmesan cheese if I remember) on his pizza.

But tonight I lived on the edge and made an edge-y pizza. With swiss cheese!  And red onions! 

What caused this break with tradition?  Was it because I found this recipe from King Arthur, which is supposed to be so fast to throw together that it can be made on a weeknight?  Because it didn't require massive kneading ... or any kneading for that matter?

Or perhaps it was because theHubby was in NYC tonight and I could toss any freakin' thing I wanted on my pizza.  I always wanted to try a red onion pizza, ever since I saw it in some magazine someplace, but never bothered before because I didn't want to make two different dinners (what, do I look like a restaurant?).  So this was my chance to be totally selfish ... the fact that it was just me was totally irrelevant.

I promise not to skip prebake next time.















The original recipe says to let the dough rise for an hour, bake the dough for 15 minutes, then add the toppings.  I was starving, so I skipped both steps, which is why the dough in the photos looks so thin and pale.  Still tasted good.  But next time I'll still skip the rise and leave in the prebake step, while stuffing a snack in my face to keep from keeling over.

I made a couple of minor tweaks to the original recipe, including the use of all unbleached flour (never gotten around to replenishing the whole wheat flour after Passover) and omitting the Pizza Dough Flavor (whatever that is).

I had used only about a half a red onion because that's what I had left in the fridge ... which wasn't nearly enough.  The quantity in the recipe below was increased to a much more better entire whole onion.   The amount of cheese, however, was just right IMHO, since Swiss has a more pronounced flavor.  But feel free to add more if you like.  The quantities, just like the shape, can be adjusted to personal preference.  Just remember the Parmesan cheese.

Blitz Pizza with Red Onions and Swiss Cheese
Adapted from King Arthur
Makes about 6 slices

3 Tbl. olive oil, plus additional for greasing
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 pkg. instant yeast
1 1/2 cups warm (110F to 115F) water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 slices Swiss cheese (about 6-8 ozs.)
1 medium-size red onion, cut in half stem to root, then thinly sliced into half-rings (about 2 cups)

Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.

Combine remaining olive oil with flour, salt, yeast and water in a small mixing bowl.  Beat at low speed with an electric mixer (with beaters attached, not a dough hook) until all the flour is moistened. Increase speed to high for 1 minute. Stop mixer, then use a spatula to scrape sticky dough up from the bottom of the bowl.  Beat at high speed for an additional minute.

Scrape dough onto prepared pan. With oiled hands, press dough towards edges of the pan.  It will fight you, going part way, then shrinking back. Let dough rest for 15 minutes, then press dough to the edges of the pan (or as close as dough will let you).

Cover the dough and allow to rise for 1 hour for a thick crust (skip this step for a thinner crust and instead just let rise while oven preheats).

Preheat oven to 425°F at the 30-45 minute mark, depending upon how long it takes to preheat your oven.

Remove cover from the dough.  Bake crust for 15 minutes, until it's set, but not browned.

NOT pre-baked (see narrative above)














Remove from oven.  Quickly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then cover with Swiss cheese.  Scatter onion evenly over cheese.

Pale, but delicious.














Return pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.  Watch to avoid burning cheese and/or onions.

Remove the pizza from the oven and place on heatproof surface.  Let sit for 5 minutes (to firm up cheese), then slice and serve immediately.


Comments