Mujadara and Mushroom Soup - Easy














I wasn't feeling very well today.  It might have been from way too much partying at the bat mitzvah (the female version of a bar mitzvah) of theHubby's 3rd cousin ... yes, wide age range there.   Many friends and relatives, including third cousins once removed and even 4th cousins (I think) were at the Saturday morning service and soiree later on that evening.  Mazel tov, Jenna! 

Ow!  Too much yelling in that last sentence.

Or it might have been the chicken sub from the local OyVay on Sunday in between major retail therapy at the shopping outlet with my high school buds.

But I digress ... in any event the hurt waited until first thing Monday morning.  My tummy and head weren't anywhere near normal.  Breakfast consisted of a cup of chai.  Work turned out to be a failed attempt.  It wasn't until after a hearty lunch of buttered toast that I finally started to feel a bit better. 

But not quite up to par.  I needed an easy-peasy recipe for dinner.  Remembering that I still had mujadara from the other day occupying the fridge, I made the executive decision to attempt a follow-up recipe at hebivoracious.  It conveniently combines said leftover mujadara with a simple broth made from mushrooms.  It's pretty much boil up the mushrooms then toss in the mujadara.  Easy-peasy. 

Except for the mess when the pot boiled over because I was busily typing away on this very post instead of paying attention (note to self:  a watched pot may never boil, but an unwatched pot will always result in extra clean-up).














Although there is no dairy in the ingredients list, the mujardara was made with butter, making this dairy as well.  Make your mujadara with only olive oil for a parve/vegan alternative.

Michael's version uses dried shitake mushrooms.  I only had a small fresh package of mixed exotic mushrooms so I went with that instead.  You can use regular ol' button mushrooms, but they don't have as much flavor; with a simple recipe such as this you need ingredients with as much self-contained flavor as you can get.  The parsley in my garden hadn't recuperated from the last time I grabbed a handful so I garnished with the more plentiful chives instead.   Michael didn't bother with quantities, what with this being a simple recipe, so I was on my own there.  I guesstimated with 3 cups of water which, if you don't have a boil over is the correct amount.  The other quantities are to my personal liking, so adjust to yours.

Mujadara and Mushroom Soup - Easy
Slightly adapted from herbivoracious
Serves 2


2 cups mujadara
1 (4 oz.) package mixed sliced exotic mushrooms
3 cups water
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
2 Tbl. chopped chives, for garnish (optional)

Combine mushrooms and water in a 2 quart saucepan.  Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes to steep a bit further.















Stir in mujadara and bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Season with salt and pepper.














Ladle into 2 bowls and garnish with chives, if desired, before serving.

Comments