Chicken Roasted with Tomatoes, Potatoes and Olives


















This recipe started out as my roast chicken with potatos and onions (Still no photos!).  I jazzed it up with olives, diced tomatoes and a few aromatic spices to give it more of a Mediterranean flair.  Similar recipes use green olives, but I used black olives, mostly because I didn't think to buy more than the one little jar of the green stuff for my meatloaf.

The quantity of black olives in the ingredients list may seem a bit weird, but only the drained weight was listed on the can I used.  If the brand of canned olives you use only lists total weight, I'd guesstimate my can size at about 14 ozs.  Hope that's clear. 


 On the other hand, we are not baking a cake here ... use the amount of olives you have at hand (in hand?  In can?).  Dinner will still be delicious.  I promise.

Chicken Roasted with Tomatoes, Potatoes and Olives
Yield: 4-6 servings

2 Tbl. olive oil
4 small to medium red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 chicken, cut into eighths and some (not all!) skin removed
4 tsp. chopped garlic (about 4 garlic cloves)
1/4 tsp.  ground cinnamon
1tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 (14 oz. can) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup white wine
Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbl. lemon juice)
1 (6 oz. drained) can pitted black olive, drained
1/2 loosely packed cut cilantro leaves, roughly chopped














Heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Coat the bottom of a wide, heavy pot (about 8 quart sized, like a dutch oven) with the olive oil.
Add potato quarters.  Cover evenly with sliced onions.














Arrange chicken parts in a single layer on top.  Plop on the garlic and sprinkle with the cinnamon, paprika, salt and pepper..  Drop on the diced tomatoes.















Pour in the wine and lemon juice.


















Dot with the olives. 














Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.  Garnish with cilantro, either the whole batch or each serving.
 














Either way, serve hot. 

Comments

  1. I was just about ready to give up on my slow cooker until I got your book "Everything Kosher Slow Cooker Cookbook". I tried 2 recipes which both turned out fabulous (brussel sprouts & unstuffed cabbage). Other recipe books have always left me with too much liquid or the ingredients did not all finish cooking at the same time which left some things overcooked and some things undercooked...with your recipes everything finished at the same time. Also I have a small slow cooker and other cookbooks have always left mine overflowing but your recipes were just right. I'm recommending your book to all my friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy my cookbook! And a big THANKS for recommending it to your friends and family. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful! Pinned to try for one of our SUnday dinners. I found you via the RecipesUS Food Community Page on Facebook. I'm following you via GFC .... Feel free to come check out my blog if you'd like - http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.