Raspberry Custard Pie













When I spied with my little eye a raspberry pie at Baking Bites the other day, I just had to make it.  Juicy red raspberries bursting out of a custardy filling.  So gorgeous, I almost had to restrain myself from licking the screen.  I would have made a version with blackberries (or black raspberries), but the blackberries (or black raspberries) growing on the bushes in my yard weren't quite ripe at that moment. So I headed over to the Korean grocer yet again, where red raspberries were still available at an insanely low price.  












Oh yumyumyum! This is one of those "impossibly easy" type pies that magically creates a thin crust during the baking process.  Since the crust is where most of the calories hide, you can have a slice without feeling too terribly guilty.  Preferably while standing up, because then the remaining calories slide off onto the floor.  I read all that on the internets, so it must be true. :P

As soon as I am able to pluck enough ripe blackberries (or black raspberries) from the bushes in my yard, I will certainly be making this pie again.   Thanks, Nicole!

Raspberry Custard Pie
Slightly adapted from Baking Bites
Serves 8

1 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. table salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (greek style preferred)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
12 ozs. red raspberries, rinsed and dried well
whipped cream or powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with the butter and set aside.














In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
















In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt and vanilla and almond extracts until very smooth.














Whisk the flour mixture into the milk mixture just until combined. 














Gently fold in the raspberries.














Pour into prepared pie plate. If necessary, poke the raspberries around to evenly distribute in the filling.














 Bake for 30-40 minutes, until custard is slightly puffy and lightly browned around the edges, and a knife or wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.














Place pie on cooling rack.  Let cool completely.  Custard will deflate slightly.  If desired, sift powdered sugar over pie before slicing.  Or spritz whipping cream on each slice just before serving.  Cover and refrigerate leftovers.


Comments

  1. Looks great and so easy to put together...not a fan of raspberries so will have to give this a go with a different berry! Oh...and I didn't know it's less calories if you eat standing up...thx for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I have been eyeing this same recipe for weeks, and I think I'm going to give it a try soon. I love desserts that are simple, delicious, AND pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.