Chipotle Lime Chicken Breasts with Coconut Rice














Does this chicken look awesome or what?  I am so glad kosher chicken breasts were on sale this week at the local Try-n-Save.  And that I stumbled upon a Joy of Kosher recipe for semi-spicy chipotle chicken.  The fact that it was a slow cooker recipe slowed me down none.  You could make this the original way by using thighs.  Or by utilizing a slow cooker, putting it all together early in the day, but early in the day I barely have time to put me together.  But after work it comes together rather quickly, letting it all simmer while starting up the rice.  Which allows me the luxury to decompress a few momentos after a long day slaving over a hot library reference desk.

YoungerSon wasn't happy with the coconut rice, but he prefers his rice totally naked and flavorless.   If you also prefer naked flavorless rice, simply omit the coconut milk and bump up the water.  TheHubby and I, however, rather enjoyed flavored rice for a change.  Your mileage may vary.

Chipotle Lime Chicken Breasts
adapted from Joy of Kosher
Serves 6

1 medium onion
1 medium or large carrot
6-8 sprigs cilantro (or parsley)
1 Tbl. olive oil
4 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 6 halves), pounded flat
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 (15oz can) tomato sauce
1  chipotle chile (packed in adobo sauce)
Juice from 1 lime (approx. 2 Tbl. juice)
2 tsp. chopped garlic (bottled okay)
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk (low-fat okay)
2 cups water
2 cups uncooked rice















Finely dice onion.  Peel and finely dice carrot. Mince chipotle chile.  Coarsely chop or scissor the cilantro (or parsley).  Set everything aside.














Set a grill pan over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil, then realize how silly that was because it all drains away from the grill bars.  While you are waiting for the pan to heat up, start pounding those breasts (the chicken, not ...).   It breaks up the connective tissue, making for very tender meat.  Don't skip this step because it really makes a difference.  You're welcome.













Place chicken in a single layer in pan (make in two batches if they overlap).  Sear for 2-3 minute on each side, just to get those pretty grill marks.  Remove chicken to a covered dish (the breasts will NOT be done) and keep warm.
















Saute diced onion and carrot for 5 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent and both veggies start to brown slightly.














Push veggies to sides and return chicken to pan.
















Mix tomato sauce, lime juice, minced chipotle chile and garlic together ...














 ... and pour over chicken. Bring sauce to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook while making rice.  Be sure that sauce is barely bubbling to prevent the chicken from toughening.
















Mix coconut milk with water.  Pour mixture into a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.  When mixture boils, add rice, cover and reduce heat to bare simmer.  Cook rice for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.














By the time rice is done, chicken should be completely cooked as well (no pink remains if a piece is cut).















Divide rice among 6 plates.  Set chicken on or alongside rice.  Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley and serve.

Comments

  1. "naked and flavorless." C'mon, tell me what you really think. :) I like rice, period. I think a change-up is good, and good for you. The rice sounds like it would be excellent with the strong flavors in the chicken's sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and it was delicious! I have one question though. Was I supposed to mince the chipotle peppers?
    Ingredients say: 1 chipotle chile (packed in adobo sauce). What I found at the store was the canned chipotle chile peppers in sauce. They were whole, so when I saw your directions said "minced" I put them in my Oscar and chopped it all up.

    Your directions say: Mix tomato sauce, lime juice, minced chipotle chile and garlic together ... so I think I followed it right but was wondering if you meant to say minced garlic instead. It was very hot and spicy and good! Maybe it would have been less spicy if the peppers had been left whole?

    I actually hate to cook but I really wanted coconut rice last night. Thank you for the recipe. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anonymous: you're welcome! At the beginning of the directions I say to mince the chipotle chile. I didn't say to do the same with the garlic because I was using chopped garlic from a jar. But I should have been more consistent (and clearer) later on when mixing the sauce and say chopped garlic, not just garlic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.